Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Greatest Great-Grandma

Yesterday my Great-Grandma Parry passed away....emphasis is on GREAT. She is an incredible woman and as I reflect upon her impact on my life, there are a few memories that I feel inclined to share:

- My grandma is the most loving person I've ever known. She has a quick wit and a great sense of humor. She is one of those people that has a unique gift in making everyone she is around feel special. I remember as a child thinking I was her very favorite, only to find out that all my cousins felt the same way.
- Grandma would set up one-on-one dates with me (and I'm sure all her other grandchildren) where it would be just me and her, doing whatever I wanted to do. It almost always resulted in a card game or a craft of sorts. She would tell me the things I did or the expressions I had that reminded her so much of my Grandma Roe (her daughter). Some of my favorite memories from my childhood come from these special grandma dates.
- Grandma is one of the craftiest people I know. She had each of her grandchildren that were interested make these hand-made Santas that she would display all over her house each Christmas. It was a Christmas tradition of mine each year to find where my Santa was in her house. She has SO MANY grandkids. I can't even begin to guess how many grand, great-grand, and great-great grand children she has. But every year for Christmas until each grandchild's 16th birthday, Grandma made a hand-made Christmas ornament. It's a household Christmas necessity in our clan. There are also an uncountable number of hand-stitched quilts that were gifts from Grandma.
- The Parry cabin is a special place indeed. I remember many 'late' cabin nights spent playing card games and laughing with Grandma and the family. I don't know anyone that love Canasta quite as much as Grandma Parry. She would always pick me for her team because she was convinced I had a special talent for grabbing the exact amount of cards each time I dealt. I'm pretty sure I only got lucky and had this happen one time, but Grandma still insisted I was the best at it. Just another example of how she made those around her feel special.
- Grandma is incredibly patient. She is one of the only people in my life that did not lose patience with me when I was a child (which, if you knew me as a child, is an incredible feat). When I bullied and was mean to my younger cousins, she would take me aside and gently admonish me and help me see the error of my ways. She taught me to always think of others feelings before I allowed myself to act on mine.
- Every Halloween, Grandma's house was a must-stop location. She would make home-made apple cider for her grandkids to enjoy. Halloween in Idaho was freezing most years, a lot of years there was snow on the ground. Apple cider has been a Halloween tradition in my adult years because of Grandma's example.
-Grandma never missed one of my home sport games. Her and Grandpa were at every basketball, volleyball, softball, etc game while I was growing up. I remember after a particularly AWFUL basketball game, Grandma took me aside and pointed out all the good plays I had and told me to focus on the good I had done and work to improve the areas I thought I had performed badly in.

I am so very happy that Grandma is reunited with the daughters she lost to cancer years ago, but my heart aches that she is no longer here with us. I know that the reunions in heaven are joy-filled and tearful, and I couldn't wish for a happier day for my Grandma than that. She will be greatly missed every day by many. I love and miss you Grandma!
blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment